Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Summer Scent Duo

Scent has always been an aspect of beauty that I have taken an interest in. I find it so interesting that something as simple as scent can take you on a journey back to a point in your own personal history. Scent has such a strong association with the past for me so I do try my best to learn about it and play around for it as much as possible. I will even buy new perfumes for special occasions so that scent will forever be associated with that occasion.


I find during different seasons of the year, my taste in perfume changes. I always pick something soft and floral during Spring but it needs an element of freshness from a citrus note. Then during Summer I still like florals but they are typically sweeter with a more creamy texture. For Autumn I start to head into more spicy/woody territory but it is key that the perfume still has a sweet note. Whereas I want something richer and more comforting during Winter.

I don't know whether you have noticed but we are currently in Summer, even though most days it doesn't feel like we are. Despite the varying weather, there is one scent combo that I have been religiously turning to this Summer season and unfortunately for me, they are both limited edition.

The Body Shop - Cactus Blossom

I have already spoken about the Cactus Blossom scent far too much this month but it makes up 50% of my scent routine so I have to talk about it again. 

Scent is all about building layers which is why I always use a scented cream in addition to my perfume. Using a cream helps your scent to last so much longer for so many reasons. Firstly you are building up the scent so naturally it is stronger with the building up of fragrance. Secondly hydrated skin holds a scent so much better. There is a reason you are told to apply perfume on your pulse points, it is because that is where your veins are closest to the skin. Due to your blood flowing through your veins, a heat is created that then evaporates scent and this is what gives off scent. 

If your skin isn't hydrated and you are applying perfume to dead skin, you are effectively creating a barrier between the perfume and warmth so it is also important to exfoliate so your scent can blossom creating a scent aura around you. Using a cream means that your skin is hydrated and it gives your perfume something to stick to. 

The Body Yogurts aren't as thick as a cream or Body Butter but they are still incredibly moisturising. They do still work as an amazing base for perfume. I think the Body Yogurts are superior in terms of formula to a body butter or cream. Unlike a cream, you do not get that annoying feeling that just lingers. Instead, the yogurts sink in quickly and you can get on with your day. They also have a cooling sensation after you have applied them which is definitely their best attribute, especially for Summer.


I have loved the Body Yogurt formula for years but it is the Cactus Blossom scent that has made it a part of my scent duo. As a Cactus is a plant I assumed this was going to be quite Earthy but it isn't at all! Cactus Blossom is sweet, lively and zesty, not earthy in the slightest. If anything I would say this was quite a fresh scent. It has the zesty zing of a citrus scent combined with a delicate floral which isn't a rich floral or sharp floral. I believe the blossom flowers would be small and delicate and this scent certainly matches that. 

I love the base that the formula of the Body Yogurt creates on my skin but also the light scent, it doesn't interfere with the perfume I layer on top. Cactus Blossom just adds a soft floral zestiness to my Summer scent which comes from Jo Malone London. 


Jo Malone London - Frangipani Flower

I am a massive fan of the limited edition blossom scents that Jo Malone London launch at the start of Summer each year but for the past few years I have been slow to get on the hype. Last year I was a late purchaser of Tropical Cherimoya and this year I have only just decided that Frangipani Flower is worthy of my time. 

As always with the Jo Malone London Blossom collections, most of them have been out before and in fact I already have a bottle of Star Magnolia from two years ago. Frangipani Flower was the only new one and at first I didn't know what to make of it. I thought it smelt really similar to Star Magnolia which I already had but through extensive testing and a lack of availability, I decided to get a bottle when I saw some in stock. I did only go for the small 30ml bottle this time as I thought it would be better for my handbag than my 100ml bottle of Star Magnolia. However, I did not anticipate how much I was going to love this scent.


Within Frangipani Flower, the notes are heavy on the florals. The top note is Jasmine Petals, heart note is of course Frangipani and the base note is Sandalwood which comes together to not be an overly sweet scent. However within the notes, you see where the similarities between Star Magnolia and Frangipani Flower come from.

In Star Magnolia there is a top note of lemon (also in the top note of Frangipani,) the floral heart note is Star Magnolia and the base note is Sandalwood. Basically the biggest change is the floral, other than that the compositions are incredibly similar which is clearly why I struggle to tell the difference. Saying that, there is a subtle difference between the two. 

When I smell the two of them, I can't help but think of Star Magnolia as the older sister of Frangipani Flower. Frangipani Flower is a lot softer and it doesn't quite have the same sharp hit that Star Magnolia has. That is why I love Frangipani Flower with the Cactus Blossom Body Yogurt. The Cactus Blossom scent is really light and fresh, without too much depth which is provided but the Sandalwood in Frangipani Flower, whilst maintaining a fresh, light soft Summer floral scent. 


Unfortunately Cactus Blossom is only available in limited stores (as it is an older products as well) whilst Frangiani Flower is a Jo Malone London limited edition and it is no longer available in store, but it is still available on John Lewis. If you get the chance you should definitely try smelling both of these because they are gorgeous scents. Now going forward both of these scents are forever going to remind me of Summer 2019.

Let me know what your Summer scent is in the comments. 

You might also like:

Cactus Blossom
My New Baby
My Clarins
One In, One Out
Summer Look

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar